Monday, May 14, 2012

Lake Athens and Mill Creek 5-13-12


After I worked the paddle sport show this past Saturday, I wanted to get some fishing in before the weekend was up.  I talked to Gutcheck Saturday night, and he said he fished Mill Creek that morning and then Athens that afternoon. He told me the numbers that he caught at Athens, which were impressive, and I decided that was where I wanted to go.

I arrived around 9am, ready to get some points for kayak wars.  The first place I started fishing, I hooked into a nice fish but it showed itself and spit my lure right back at me.  I thought to myself, "No big deal."  I worked my way around the far south shore line without a bite.  Then I found some good looking lily pads on a point, and started fishing it. I caught my first fish of the day, a really skinny 21 incher.



I worked my way through the pads without another bite, so I  searched for new water.  I started fishing around some docks with grass on them and came up with number two, a nice little 17 1/2 incher.



I then fished my way around a point and lost another.  So far the score was Fish 2, Me 2.  Around 2pm i)I decided that it was time for a move.

I loaded up the kayak and headed to Mill Creek. When I got to Mill there were a few boats out there, so I went the other end of the lake. I caught two right off the bat off a point but were both around 14 inches and wouldn't count for Kayak Wars so I didn't take a picture.  I went to the other side of the arm and connected with a fat 20"er and a 18"er with in two casts.




The fish were holding tight to wood and were looking for shade.  When I figured this out the rest of the night was on.  I really look forward to fishing both of these lakes this summer.  







I ended up having one of the best days I've had in quite sometime.  My best five were close to 100 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment